An air conditioner should do a great job of keeping your home at a comfortable temperature when it is running properly. However, if it’s not cooling properly and you notice ice on the coil of the indoor air handler, there’s a problem. Here’s what you should you do if your air conditioner ices up.
When an air conditioner ices up it is an issue that should be taken care of right way. Running an air conditioner while it is iced up can result in higher electricity bills, poor cooling throughout the house and wear and tear on the air conditioner. As soon as it is determined that your air conditioner isn’t running properly, turn it off immediately and look for the cause of the icing.
What Causes Air Conditioners to Ice Up?
- There are several reasons why your air conditioner is freezing up. Among the causes are:
- The Coil May Be Frozen – If there isn’t enough air flowing across the coil, the moisture on it will start to freeze. When working properly, the air moving across the coil will be strong enough to take care of excess moisture and prevent the coil from freezing up.
- Examine The Refrigerant Level To Make Sure That It Is Not Causing Any Problems – A low refrigerant level can actually cause a coil to get colder. Therefore, it is important to always keep refrigerant levels at proper levels.
- Blower or Fan is Broken – Check All Mechanical Parts Such As The Blower. Generally they will make a noise if they are not functioning properly.
- Outdoor Air Temperature is below 60 degrees – Keep in mind that your AC may freeze more often as the temperature outside starts to drop. Air conditioners should not be used on a frequent basis when the temperature is less than 60 degrees.
Call For A HVAC Service Appointment In Naples TX
The good news is that this issue can be easily fixed by a trained service technician. If a dirty or broken coil is to blame or the blower is damaged, getting it fixed as soon as possible will limit any potential damage to your air conditioner. Homeowners who allow these small problems to linger may notice that they are paying a higher cooling bill each month.
When your air conditioner starts to ice up, give Wood Air Conditioning a call right away. Our friendly and professional service technicians will take care of all of your needs as soon as possible. Our customers can also schedule a service appointment online at any time. There is no reason to deal with an inefficient air conditioner making your home unbearable during the summer months.