Autumn is the time to cross some home maintenance items off your to-do list before winter sets in. This is the time to tighten up your home for greater energy efficiency and to clean up your property and make it safe for your family and visitors. Here are some fall maintenance tips to help you prepare for heating season:
- Heating and air conditioning tune-up – Have a professional HVAC contractor come out to inspect your heating and cooling systems and perform routine maintenance. Motors, fans, pumps and other moving parts should be cleaned and lubricated. Ductwork should be inspected for leaky joints and sealed as needed. Burners should be cleaned and checked for proper combustion.
- Seal outdoor air entry points – Check the caulking around doors and windows and anywhere plumbing or electrical equipment enter your house. Seal those openings and any cracks between your foundation and siding with fresh caulk. Be sure your garage door seals well when it’s closed.
- Inspect your roof and clean your gutters – Your roof is your main protection against freezing rain and hail, so replace missing shingles and be sure flashing around chimneys and other protrusions is in good shape. Your gutters and downspouts should be clean and allow water to run freely away from your foundation.
- Clear tools and equipment from your yard – Drain the gasoline from your lawn mower or add a fuel preservative to the gas tank after the last mowing of the season. Store tools in a shed or carport to protect them from rusting.
- Caulk and weatherstrip inside – Check for air leaks inside your house around windows, skylights and door frames. Weatherstripping and caulk are cheap and easy to apply. They will improve your home’s energy efficiency and save money on heating bills.
- Stock up on emergency supplies – Gather a supply of batteries and candles for potential winter power outages. Replace smoke alarm batteries.
Call us at Wood Air Conditioning, Inc. for help getting ready for heating season. Our expert technicians will help you keep your home comfortable all year round.